Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Oath Keeper Testimonial of Army Vet and Career Peace Officer, Dave Freeman

Dave Freeman said:
Oath Keepers is not militia movement, per se, it’s a declaration of dedication to support and defend the supreme law of our land: the U.S. Constitution from all enemies both foreign and domestic. It’s a group of patriotic men and women seeking to remind fellow citizens of their profound obligations to God and country.

A fellow trusted friend, a genuine patriot, an Oath Keeper, asked me to describe or define what my sworn oath mean to me and I told him: “Any oath [or vow] that I have ever taken is a “Blood Oath” and it’s irrevocable.” It coincides with the Devine admonition: “Defend the truth, even unto death.” The signers of the Declaration of Independence pledged: “Their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor;” can we do any less?


My combined public service as a U.S. Army soldier; Deputy Sheriff; Police Sergeant and Special Deputy Marshal Court Services Officer totals 38 plus years. The oaths I swore during the commission of these offices all had these profound words in common: “…I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic…so help me God!


Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s:

There was no confusion by the Centurion [In the book of Luke] about his duty to the lawful authority of the state government and his faithful acknowledgement of God’s supreme authority.
Romans Chapter 13: 3 – “Rulers are not a cause of fear to good conduct, but to evil. Do you wish to have no fear of authority? Then do what is good and you will receive approval from it. For it is a servant of God for your good. But if you do evil, be afraid, for it does not bear the sword without purpose; it is the servant of God to inflict wrath on the evildoer.”

Just like the Centurion, I am subject to authority and God’s authority reigns supreme. Through prayer, we are granted discernment to determine between righteousness and sin. Next to salvation, free will is the second greatest gift bestowed man. Throughout human history, there are countless examples of sinful and evil regimes and my mind can’t conceive that God endorsed any of them. To my recollection they were all judged for their sins and met their demise.


Psalm Chapter 27: “The Lord is my light and my salvation, of whom should I be afraid?” Anyone that would tell you lies or seek to intimidate you is not God’s servant. Be vigilant; be on your guard, because they are “Legion” and bat for the other team!


As a Deputy Sheriff/Police Officer I suggested to the Under Sheriff that we adopt the following motto and emblazon it on all our police vehicles: “Pledged to a Sacred Oath” I wanted the citizens that we served to be assured that we were men and women of honor pledged to protect them and the constitution from all enemies both foreign and domestic. Disappointingly, the hierarchy replied that we all ready had a motto [the generic] “To protect and serve.”


Many years ago, I stood in awe at the foot of the “Minuteman” statue at Concord Bridge, Massachusetts. I must tell you it was a soulful experience. Make it a point to go there and stand in the presence of that memorial and reflect on the brave souls that stopped tyranny on that fateful day: April 19, 1775. These patriots rallied to the wisdom of Samuel Adams when he said:

It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.”


Dave Freeman, Oath Keeper


Note: Dave Freeman, a retired peace officer, is still serving his country, as he now serves as the Oath Keepers liaison to sheriff, police, and other peace officer organizations across this nation. He can be reached by email here:


I can tell you from my personal experience with Dave that he is a committed, principled, and fearless patriot. He is a perfect example of why we know that many peace officers will side with the people and the Constitution if/when it ever comes to that awful day. I am proud to call Dave a brother Oath Keeper. - Stewart Rhodes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am currently DISABLED, still waiting on getting one cent from workman's comp. I was hurt AUG, 2007 and it's gettig hard, but I respect allthat is being done and I pledge to do EVERYTHING I possibly can to help keep our NATION FREE!